If you are looking for information regarding the San Jose Police Department Application process you’ve landed on the right page. However you must understand that the hiring process is a lot different from any other jobs you’ve pursued in your life.
For instance, the selections process to become a SJPD police officer is a long, and tedious one. The process may take up to a full year before you are offered the position. Don’t get discouraged because the employment process for cops is pretty similar nationwide.
San Jose PD Requirements & Qualifications:
Please note that the San Jose Police Department DOES NOT administer the physical agility (WSTB/1.5 mile run) and PELLETB written examination. Applicants are required to complete both of these tests and the remaining minimum requirements BEFORE applying for the position of San Jose Police Recruit.
- Must successfully pass the California P.O.S.T Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB), also known as the P.O.S.T. Reading and Writing Test, with a “T-score” of 50 or higher
- Must successfully pass the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB) also known as the physical agility test with a T-score of 320 or higher
- Must successfully pass the 1.5 mile run
- Must be at least 20½ years old at the time of application (The mandatory retirement age is 70 years old)
- Must possess a valid United States driver’s license
- Must possess a U.S. high school diploma or general education diploma (GED). Waived, if you have a college degree, from an accredited college within the U.S.
- Must have completed at least 40 semester college units or 60 quarter college units from an accredited college or university. We cannot accept in-progress credits or credits from another police academy to suffice the college requirement.
- Must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship
- Must have at least 20/40 vision uncorrected
- Cannot have any felony, domestic violence, misdemeanor assault convictions or currently be on parole or probation.
If you are currently a non-affiliate, student or graduate of a California Police Academy you will be required to attend the San Jose Police Academy. (No exceptions to this policy)
SJPD EMPLOYMENT/APPLICATION PROCESS:
- When you have successfully passed the prerequisite tests and you meet the minimum requirements, submit an online application at www.joinsjpdblue.com. Submit your T-scores online with your application. You will be sent notification to proceed to the next step, the PHQ.
- Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ) – Approx. 60 minutes. Online questionnaire that relates directly to job suitability. Required for police recruit applicants only and must pass to proceed to the Oral Board Interview. PHQ waived for Lateral Police applicants.
- Oral Board Interview (Approx. 60 minutes long, with a panel of three (3) raters.)View the Oral Interview Schedule. Only eligible applicants who have been issued a password may register for an appointment.
- Background Phase – A complete and thorough background investigation of references and personal histories including:
- Polygraph Exam
- Psychological Oral Interview
- Psychological Written Test
View the Background Interview Schedule Only eligible applicants who have been issued a password may register for an appointment.
- Hiring Board Review – Qualified candidates are selected and given a “conditional job offer.”
- Medical Exam – A medical check of each candidate for job suitability.
- Employment with the City of San Jose. (Police recruits will have approximately one (1) month before the San Jose Police Academy begins. Lateral Police Officers will begin the field training program.)
How Much Do San Jose Police Officers Make?
San Jose PD Pay Scale, Pay Chart, Pay Range, Average Salary
- Paid Academy training for Police Recruit of $40.47/hour
- Annual base pay range for Police Officer of $98,051.00 to $152.415.00**
(**7 annual steps – effective 7/20/19)
- Lateral police officer salary determined by experience, training and education
- 4 day work week, 10 hours a day
- 5% additional premium pay for certain specialized assignments
- Overtime pay assignments
- Off-duty secondary employment starting pay of $44.00 an hour
- City pays 90% of Kaiser medical plan / 100% dental plan
- Domestic partnership benefits
- Paid vacation of 80 hours to start, 180 hours maximum
- Paid accrued sick leave of 96 hours annually
- Up to 100% sick leave cash-out at retirement
- Annual uniform allowance of $675.00
- Up to 90% of salary for retirement (30 years of service) with 3% annual cost of living increase
- PERS retirement reciprocity
- Up to four (4) years of retirement buy-in for military experience
- Bi-weekly bilingual pay
POLICE OFFICER LATERAL TRANSFER APPLICANTS – POLICE ACADEMY WAIVER
The San Jose Police Department is looking for police officers from other law enforcement agencies across the nation, year round. We are looking for those individuals who can bring their experience, training and education to one of the most recognized professional law enforcement agencies in California, the San Jose Police Department. In order to begin the lateral process you must meet the following minimum requirements before applying:
POLICE OFFICERS WITHIN CALIFORNIA:
* Must be currently employed as a California Law Enforcement Officer.
* Must possess a California Basic P.O.S.T. Certificate
* Must successfully pass the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB) also known as the physical agility test with a “T-score” of 384 or higher within the last year http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/
* Successfully passed the 1.5 mile run
* Must be 21 years old and not older than age 70
* Must possess a valid California driver’s license
* Must have completed a field training program from a California law enforcement agency and have one (1) year of field patrol experience
* Must possess a U.S. high school diploma or general education diploma (GED)
* Must have completed at least 60 semester college credits or 90 quarter college credits from an accredited college or university
* Must possess U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship
* Must have at least 20/40 vision uncorrected
* Cannot have any felony, domestic violence, misdemeanor assault convictions or currently be on parole or probation.
If you are currently a non-affiliate, student or graduate of a California police academy, you do not qualify as a Lateral Police applicant and you will be required to attend the San Jose Police Academy.
The San Jose Police Department does not accept Out-of-State Lateral Police Officer transfers or Federal Law Enforcement transfers who have completed the California POST Basic Course Waiver. All Law Enforcement Officers wishing to transfer from Out-of-State or from a Federal Law Enforcement Agency must apply as an entry Level applicant and then attend the San Jose Police Academy. If you have further questions, contact Sergeant Wayne Jones at 408-277-4693.