The world is steadily moving towards electrically powered equipment, and the realm of lawn care is no different.
Electric riding lawn mowers are not only eco-friendly but also efficient, quiet, and require less maintenance compared to their gas counterparts.
We’ve done the research to help you find the best electric riding lawn mower that suits your needs. Whether you’re looking for power, versatility, or a budget-friendly option, we’ve got you covered.
Top Picks of The Best Electric Riding Lawn Mowers
Why we review lawn tools
Here at outside, we believe in making informed decisions. With so many options on the market, it can be challenging to find the perfect tool for your lawn care needs.
That’s why we review lawn tools – to provide you with comprehensive, unbiased information to help you make the best choice.
We consider various factors such as performance, ease of use, durability, and price when reviewing products.
The Best Electric Riding Lawn Mowers: 2024 Ranking
The Greenworks CrossoverT Electric Riding Lawn Mower is the epitome of versatility and efficiency. This mower is powered by a 48V Lithium-Ion battery, offering quiet operation, zero emissions, and ample power to mow up to an acre on a single charge.
The CrossoverT stands out with its unique 3-in-1 functionality. It can be used as a riding mower, a walk-behind mower, or a self-propelled mower, making it incredibly versatile. With a 30-inch cutting deck, it’s capable of handling both small and large lawns effectively.
The user-friendly design, adjustable cutting height, and comfortable seating make the Greenworks CrossoverT a pleasure to use. Whether you’re a professional landscaper or a homeowner with a passion for lawn care, this mower offers the features and flexibility you need.
- 48V Lithium-Ion Battery: Offers quiet operation, zero emissions, and the power to mow up to an acre
- 3-in-1 Functionality: Can be used as a riding mower, walk-behind mower, or self-propelled mower
- 30-Inch Cutting Deck: Suitable for both small and large lawns
- User-Friendly Design: Adjustable cutting height and comfortable seating for easy operation
The EGO Power+ Electric Zero-Turn Lawn Mower is designed for those who demand superior performance and maneuverability. This mower stands out with its zero-turn technology, allowing you to navigate around obstacles with ease and speed.
The EGO Power+ is powered by a 56V Lithium-Ion battery, offering quiet operation, zero emissions, and the power to mow up to two acres on a single charge.
This mower doesn’t compromise on comfort either. With a high-back seat, adjustable steering levers, and a smooth ride, the EGO Power+ makes mowing your lawn a pleasure rather than a chore.
- Zero-Turn Technology: Superior maneuverability around obstacles
- 56V Lithium-Ion Battery: Quiet operation, zero emissions, and long-lasting power
- Comfortable Ride: High-back seat and adjustable steering levers for maximum comfort
- Large Cutting Deck: Offers a wide cutting path for efficient mowing
The Ryobi 100 AH Electric Riding Mower is known for its impressive battery life and powerful performance. This mower is equipped with a 100AH battery that provides an incredible four hours of runtime, allowing you to mow up to 2.5 acres on a single charge. Its 38-inch cutting deck ensures an even and clean cut, while the LED headlights allow for mowing at any time of the day.
The Ryobi 100 AH also boasts a comfortable ride, thanks to its padded high-back seat and easy-to-use controls. With its combination of power, comfort, and convenience, this mower is ideal for those with large lawns and high expectations.
- 100AH Battery: Provides up to four hours of runtime
- 38-Inch Cutting Deck: Ensures an even and clean cut
- LED Headlights: Allows for mowing at any time of the day
- Comfortable Ride: Padded high-back seat and easy-to-use controls for maximum comfort
The Kohler 7000 Series V-Twin Engine is an impressive piece of machinery that offers smooth, quiet, and reliable power.
The engine allows you to mow at speeds of up to 6.5 mph, which makes tackling large lawns a breeze.
One of the standout features is the 54” Steel 3-Blade Mower Deck. With electric blade engagement for safety and convenience, the three mower blades cover large areas quickly.
Moreover, the deck is equipped with anti-scalp wheels that prevent scalping on uneven surfaces.
The design of this engine focuses on comfort and convenience. All key controls like the choke, throttle, and ignition are conveniently located for easy access. The 15” high back seat provides excellent lumbar support, while the welded steel frame effectively reduces chassis vibration.
- Kohler 7000 Series V-Twin Engine offering 26 HP power.
- Mowing speed of up to 6.5 mph.
- 54” Steel 3-Blade Mower Deck with electric blade engagement.
- Anti-scalp wheels to prevent scalping on uneven surfaces.
- Conveniently located choke, throttle, and ignition.
- Comfortable 15” high back seat and vibration-reducing welded steel frame.
- Hydro-Gear EZT Hydrostatic Transmission for powerful performance.
- No hydraulic hoses to reduce leak instances.
- Easy service access with a removable foot pan.
- Cutting height adjustable between 1.5 – 4 inches.
- Cutting width of 54 inches with 3-in-1 Mowing options (Mulch, Bag, Side Discharge).
- Electric PTO blade engagement.
- 12V Key Start system and 12V Lead Acid Battery.
- Fuel Capacity of 3.5 Gallons.
The Greenworks G-MAX 40V Electric Riding Lawn Mower is a game-changer in the world of lawn care. This innovative machine delivers all the power you need without the noise, fumes, or harmful emissions associated with traditional gas-powered mowers.
The G-MAX 40V is designed for efficiency, with a compact size that makes it easy to navigate in tight spaces, and a durable cutting deck that delivers a clean, even cut every time.
The Greenworks G-MAX 40V is also known for its longevity. Its lithium-ion battery provides up to two hours of runtime, allowing you to mow up to two acres on a single charge. Plus, with its rapid charging feature, you can get back to work in no time.
- 40V Lithium-Ion Battery: Provides up to 2 hours of runtime
- 38-inch Cutting Deck: Delivers a clean, even cut and is adjustable for different grass heights
- Compact Size: Easy to maneuver in tight spaces
- Rapid Charging: Get back to work quickly with fast charging times
- Eco-Friendly: Zero emissions, quiet operation, and less maintenance compared to gas-powered mowers
The Cub Cadet XT1 LT42E Electric Riding Lawn Mower combines power, performance, and precision into one package. This mower comes with a robust 42-inch cutting deck, capable of tackling large yards efficiently. Its electric motor delivers consistent power, allowing for a clean and even cut every time.
One of the standout features of the Cub Cadet XT1 LT42E is its exceptional runtime. On a single charge, this mower can cover up to two acres, meaning you can get more done without having to stop and recharge.
- 42-Inch Cutting Deck: Large cutting path for efficient mowing
- Excellent Runtime: Can cover up to two acres on a single charge
- Consistent Power: Delivers a clean and even cut every time
- Durable Construction: Built to last with a sturdy frame and high-quality components
The Greenworks Pro 60V Electric Riding Lawn Mower is a compact and eco-friendly solution for maintaining your lawn. This mower is powered by a 60V Lithium-Ion battery, providing clean, quiet, and efficient performance. Despite its compact size, the Greenworks Pro comes with a 42-inch cutting deck, allowing you to cover a large area quickly.
One of the highlights of this mower is its SmartCut technology, which adjusts the power based on the thickness of your grass, ensuring an even cut every time. With its user-friendly design and impressive features, the Greenworks Pro 60V makes lawn maintenance a breeze.
- 60V Lithium-Ion Battery: Provides clean, quiet, and efficient performance
- 42-Inch Cutting Deck: Large cutting path for quick mowing
- SmartCut Technology: Adjusts power based on grass thickness for an even cut
- Compact Design: Easy to maneuver and store, ideal for smaller yards and tight spaces
What We Look for in Electric Riding Lawn Mowers
When evaluating electric riding lawn mowers, there are several key factors that we consider to ensure you get the best value for your money.
Battery life on electric riding mowers
The battery life of an electric riding mower is crucial. A good mower should have enough battery life to handle your entire lawn on a single charge. The best electric mowers can run for several hours and cover multiple acres before requiring a recharge.
Comfort is another important consideration. An uncomfortable ride can turn mowing into a chore. We look for mowers with high-back seats, easy-to-reach controls, and smooth operation for a pleasant mowing experience.
Easy to use and control
A good electric riding mower should be easy to operate. This includes intuitive controls, effortless maneuverability, and simple maintenance procedures. Some models also come with additional features like zero-turn technology, making them even easier to control around obstacles.
The Bottom Line on electric riding mowers
Electric riding mowers offer a number of advantages over their gas-powered counterparts, including quieter operation, lower maintenance, and no emissions. However, not all electric mowers are created equal. It’s essential to consider factors like battery life, comfort, and ease of use when selecting the right model for your needs. With the right electric riding mower, you can maintain your lawn quickly, efficiently, and comfortably.
Are electric riding mowers worth it?
Yes, electric riding mowers are definitely worth considering. They are known for their quiet operation, zero emissions, and lower maintenance needs compared to gas-powered models. These mowers are also often more compact and easier to maneuver. The initial cost might be higher, but you can save on fuel and maintenance costs in the long run.
What are the top-rated electric lawnmowers?
The top-rated electric lawnmowers according to our research are:
- Greenworks G-MAX 40V Electric Riding Lawn Mower
- EGO Power+ Electric Zero-Turn Lawn Mower
- Cub Cadet XT1 LT42E Electric Riding Lawn Mower
- Ryobi 100 AH Electric Riding Mower
Is John Deere making an electric mower?
Yes, John Deere has been developing electric mowers. Their first fully electric model is the SESAM (Sustainable Energy Supply for Agricultural Machinery), which was showcased at the SIMA Agribusiness Show in 2017.
What are the disadvantages of an electric lawn mower?
While electric mowers offer numerous benefits, they do have a few downsides. They are usually less powerful than gas mowers, which can be a problem for larger lawns or tough grass. Battery life can also be a concern, as some models may require frequent recharging. Lastly, electric mowers are generally more expensive upfront than gas mowers, although they can be cheaper to operate in the long term.
Is John Deere going all electric in 2024?
As of my current knowledge, there’s no official statement from John Deere stating that they’re going all-electric in 2024. However, they continue to invest in and develop electric technology for their equipment.
Is John Deere looking at electric tractors?
Yes, John Deere has shown interest in electric tractors. They’ve already developed a prototype electric tractor known as the GridCON model, which operates off a cable connected to the electrical grid.
How long do electric riding mowers last?
The lifespan of an electric riding mower can vary depending on the model, usage, and maintenance. However, on average, these machines can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years. The batteries typically need to be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
How long do electric ride-on mowers last?
The longevity of electric ride-on mowers is similar to that of regular electric mowers. With proper care and maintenance, they can typically last between 5 to 10 years. The battery life may vary based on usage and maintenance, with most requiring replacement every 3 to 5 years.
What is the best time of year to buy an electric lawn mower?
The best time of year to purchase an electric lawn mower is usually in the fall or early winter when demand for outdoor gardening equipment decreases. Retailers often offer discounts during this period to clear out their inventory. However, deals can also be found at other times of the year, particularly during major sales events like Black Friday or Memorial Day.