Steps to Become a SWAT Team Officer – Tips On Your Interview
If you want to join the SWAT team for your department, then there are some steps that you’ll need to complete first. One step that cannot be overlooked is that you must have at least one year of police officer experience before you can apply for a specialty position like S.W.A.T.
I know that may sound simple, but I don’t know how many times I’ve heard people say they just want to join the SWAT tean straight out of the academy. I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but you can’t simply walk in off the street and be a SWAT team member.
Some of the guys on SWAT have been police officers for years before they were selected. SWAT is like the Navy Seals; you must first pass the eye test, being overweight exempts you from eligibility, and you must have had no negative marks while on patrol.
Here are some of the steps that are mandatory to become a SWAT officer:
1. You must be in great physical conditioning. I recommend that you follow a tactical workout program like the TactFit Commando Workouts.
2. You must have at least one year of police experience at your respective agency (some department require 2 years of experience).
3. You must have displayed superior work ethic while on the patrol division.
4. You must go through an Oral Board Interview. I recommend looking over Robert Lawrence’s Handbook, Killer Interview Secrets (seen at the top right corner) before sitting for your interview. It’s a good interview preparation book. You can download and read it in the comfort of your own home by clicking here.
5. You must not have had any negative write-ups during your first year on the force.
Below is a great video that explains the entire process on how to become a police SWAT Team Member – ENJOY!
2 Important resources to read over if you are serious about becoming a SWAT officer.
- The TactFit Commando Workout Program.
- Robert Lawrence’s Killer Job Interview Secrets.