Becoming a police officer in the state of Louisiana is not easy. There are several steps that you’ll have to go through in order to become a police officer. One of the more challenging aspects of the recruiting process is the police training academy. The Louisiana police academy is tough. In fact, if you are overweight and out of shape you will not succeed at the new recruit training academy. That’s why it’s so important to look over a police academy study guidebefore heading to the academy. I think that’s such a small invest when you consider the reward.
If you want to lose weight before going to the academ, check out this training video on how to lose body fat fast. This fat loss technique is relatively new and controversial but it works at a considerably faster speed than other techniques. I’m only recommending this to recruits that are on the heavy side.
Louisiana Police Academy Requirements and Louisiana Police Officer Qualifications
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Have a minimum of
- Two (2) years of experience as a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified peace officer in a full-time position, whose job duties include armed duty with the power of arrest, (jailer/correctional officer experience does not qualify under Option 1, please refer to Option 5), revised May 1, 2008; or
- A minimum of sixty (60) semester hours from an accredited college or university, (must provide transcript or degree); or
- Any two (2) year combination of Options 1 and 2 above, whereby thirty (30) semester hours will be equivalent to one (1) year of experience; or
- Three (3) years of continuous active military duty in the United States Military, (must provide a DD-214 or letter from current commanding officer verifying service), effective October 1, 2001
- Be of good moral character.
- Pass a written examination with a competitive score.
- Undergo a physical agility evaluation, including a drug screen.
- Pass an extensive background investigation, including a polygraph examination.
- Pass an oral interview.
- Pass a thorough medical examination.
- Possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license at time of selection.
- Successfully complete the required State Police Training Academy program.
If you want information on the self sponsorship program, course curriculum, tuition cost, and/or more information on a particular academy simply call them directly. Below I’ve listed contact info for all the state approved academies in Louisiana for your convenience.