As your police officer career hits the 5-10 year mark, you will get the bug to be a shift sergeant. The biggest hurdle after the sergeant examination is the oral board interview.
The raters on the panel will not take it easy on you. In fact, if you don’t prepare for the interview, you likely have no chance of success in your pursuit of the position.
Avoid Shooting From The Hip
The worst thing you can do is show up to your sergeant oral board interview nervous and ill-prepared.
Another thing, please don’t depend on your ability to “wing it” through the interview when there are resources out there to help you.
If you go into the interview thinking you are just going to “wing it”, you’ll fail miserably especially because the police sergeant interview is behavior based.
That’s why it’s so important to study up on the sergeant interview beforehand. The best resource available that will help you prepare for the behavioral based interview questions can be found on Amazon (check out the 3 best guides below).
If you read the recommended interview guides thoroughly below, I’m certain the panel will be blown away by some of your answers and as a result, they will be chomping at the bit to promote you.
The 3 Best Promotional Prep Guides
I recommend acquiring all three resources to thoroughly prepare for the interview, examination, and to gain a deeper understanding of your role as a supervisor.
However, if you’re unable to obtain all three, begin with the first one – the most comprehensive guide that encompasses a wide variety of topics and questions.
Introducing the Ultimate Police Promotion Super Course.
Unlock your full potential in the competitive world of police promotions with this unparalleled guide that delves into every aspect of the promotional oral interview process.
Designed for officers of all ranks, this comprehensive resource equips you with the essential techniques, confidence, and strategies to excel in your promotional journey.
The Police Promotion Super Course simplifies the often-daunting task of preparing for the promotional oral interview by offering actionable insights, real-world applications, and powerful communication strategies.
- Comprehensive coverage: The book thoroughly explores all aspects of the promotional oral interview process, providing an extensive understanding.
- Applicable to all ranks: Whether you’re a Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, or Chief of Police, this guide is designed for officers at every level.
- Real-world application: The techniques and strategies shared in the book are based on real-life experiences and proven methods for success.
- Effective communication: The guide offers valuable insights into developing powerful communication skills, essential for standing out in the interview process.
- Expert author: Captain (Ret.) Andrew Borrello’s experience and expertise lend credibility and depth to the book’s content.
- Practical preparation tips: The book shares easy-to-apply methods for studying, avoiding common mistakes, and boosting confidence in the interview process.
- Unique resource: The Police Promotion Super Course stands out among other resources due to its unparalleled depth, diversity, and comprehensiveness.
Introducing the Ultimate Police Sergeant Examination Preparation Guide: Your Key to Success.
Unlock your full potential and achieve higher scores on the Police Sergeant Exam with this comprehensive guide, designed to help you avoid common pitfalls and understand every aspect of the examination process.
- Crucial insights on mistakes to avoid: Learn about the common errors officers make during the Sergeant Exam that can lower scores, and how to steer clear of them.
- In-depth understanding of the Sergeant role: Gain real-world knowledge of the skills, strengths, and responsibilities required to excel as a Sergeant.
- Comprehensive overview of the testing process: Receive a detailed explanation of the exam structure and its specific components.
- Guidance on test announcements: Discover how to effectively respond to official test announcements and the steps to take immediately after their release.
- Expert test-taking strategies: Master both the written and oral elements of the exam with expert advice on navigating the test skillfully.
- Scoring methodology and passing percentages: Understand the Sergeant Exam’s scoring system and what it takes to pass.
- Practice tests and answers: Reinforce your knowledge with practice tests, complete with thorough explanations and a glossary of essential terms and concepts.
With the Police Sergeant Examination Preparation Guide, you’ll be well-equipped to face the challenges of the exam and embark on a successful journey toward becoming a Police Sergeant.
Introducing the Comprehensive Police Management Examinations Preparation Guide: Your Key to Success.
Unlock your full potential and excel in management exams with this invaluable guide, packed with expert insights and insider tips from Dr. Larry Jetmore, one of the nation’s leading promotional exam specialists.
- Essential management concepts, theories, and styles: Learn the critical knowledge you need to succeed in management roles.
- Test preparation strategies to boost scores: Discover specific steps that significantly enhance your exam performance.
- Mastering the oral examinations: Learn how to ace the oral components while making an impression that demonstrates your management potential.
- Effective study techniques for retention: Adopt proven strategies that ensure you retain crucial information for the exams.
- Insights into Assessment Center challenges: Gain a deeper understanding of the demanding segments within the Assessment Center.
- Sample questions and real-world examples: Reinforce your learning with practical questions and examples drawn from real-life experiences.
- Expert advice on avoiding common mistakes: Benefit from golden guidance that helps you steer clear of errors that can hamper your success.
With the Police Management Examinations Preparation Guide, you’ll be well-equipped to tackle the challenges of management exams and embark on a successful journey toward a rewarding career in police management.
Traditional Interview vs. Behavioral Interview Questions
In a traditional interview, you can usually get away with somewhat vague, general answers or just tell the panel what you think they want to hear, but behavioral interview questions are very different.
In a behavioral interview, the oral board will ask you for very specific examples. They’re going to be asking you for details including names of people, dates, and outcomes.
They’ll ask you about lengthy projects you’ve been involved in or how your role evolved, how you handled deadlines, pressures and difficult personalities.
They will inquire about how you went about thinking through problems, how you determined what steps to take, and in what order.
Police Sergeant Sample “Behavioral Based” Interview Questions:
- “Tell me about a high pressure situation you had to handle as a police officer and/or while on patrol. Tell me who was involved, what happened, and what you did to solve problems and come up with a solution.”
- “Everyone has to make decisions about the balance between personal life and the department’s objectives. When do you feel you’ve had to make personal sacrifices in order to get the job done?”
- “Tell me about a time when you had to work very hard to achieve a work-related goal and be very specific about what you achieved. How did you start? How did you measure your progress? Did it turn out like you thought it would? How were other people involved?”
- “Describe a time when you found out that one of your fellow police officers were slacking off, cheating on expenses, stealing, skipping out on work, or not pulling his or her weight? What happened? What did you do?”