As your police officer career progresses and you are looked upon as a veteran officer, the next step is to either interview to become a sergeant or a lieutenant.
If you thought interviewing to become a police officer was tough, wait until you interview for a leadership position; it’s even tougher. Since the panel will rate you on your leadership capabilities, you’ll want to read up on the most commonly asked leadership interview questions and answers.
Since many of your police interview questions are going to be behavioral based, as well as many of leadership type scenarios, I recommend that you read Job Interview Secrets . Once you read Robert’s e-book thoroughly, you’ll have the interview panel very interested in you.
Here are some sample interview questions about leadership that you should prepare to answer as you study for the police Sergent and/or lieutenant interview.
- You decided to reorganize the department or work unit that you lead. Tell me how you proceeded with the reorganization.
- Have you ever been a member of a successful team? If so, describe the role you played on the team and in its success.
- Give me an example of a time when you played a leadership role while on patrol. Describe how you led the efforts. Tell me how people responded to your leadership.
- If I were to ask your supervisor or your co-workers to comment about your leadership style, your leadership strengths, and your leadership weaknesses, how would they respond? What would this discussion tell me about you as a leader?
- Tell me about a time when you created agreement and shared purpose from a situation in which all parties originally differed in opinion, approach, and objectives.
- As a leader within the police department, you must often build support for goals and projects from people who do not report to you and over whom you have no authority. Tell me about a situation in which you demonstrated that you can build the needed support.
- What are the three most important values you demonstrate as a leader? Tell me a story that demonstrates each of these leadership values in practice within your workplace.
- During your work experiences as a patrolman, tell me about a time when you demonstrated that you have leadership ability and skill.